To build a small, tough, lifted, off road capable Jeep trailer — use these Off Road Trailer Plans. This is a tough one with lots of ground clearance for carrying your gear on those out and yonder adventures. Several design options allow you to customize the trailer. Then, make your own enhancements so it’s perfect for your travels!!
If you need something a touch stouter, and with a torsion axle, check out our Off Road 4′ x 6.5′ 2500# Trailer Plans.
- Single axle, leaf spring design with high clearance “lift” options.
- 4′ x 6′ nominal bed size. (Actual bed is slightly bigger.) And, we know one size does not fit all, so customize it! You can modify the bed length or width a little if you want. Just follow these guidelines.
- 2000 lb. trailer capacity.
- Heavy duty design to follow your tow vehicle almost anywhere.
- Options in the plans for sides and/or a top.
- Optional removable ramp plans also included.
- Plans come with complete drawings and instructions.
- Plans include lists of components and materials along with possible sources to get the parts you need.
Off Road Trailer Plans Details:
Since you asked . . . Here are the plans for a smallish, high clearance DIY off road trailer designed to hitch to your 4×4 and head to the hills. A Jeep Trailer? Yes. And an anyone, everywhere 4×4 trailer. Just right to pack a few extra things to make the trip a little more comfortable — and stylish. Customize the look for exactly what you want, while you customize the function for the gear you need. This is the launch pad, so add box, a solar panel, a rack, or a top.
Plans include drawings and illustrated instructions with many options — like the sides and opening top as shown in the image. Use your imagination and attach the accessories — like fuel tanks, shovels, jacks, etc.. Since it’s your adventure, put on a fold out top tent for camping off the ground too, if you want. The trailer design is tough to handle your adventures. Throw in your gear and go.
Trailer Technical Information:
- Trailer bed size is slightly larger than 4 ft. wide x 6 ft. long.
- Overall length including the tongue is ~127 inches. (May vary with options.)
- While Trailer bed height as shown is 26.5″, actual height will depend on the options you choose. Lift it to match your 4×4 tow vehicle if you want. Also, bigger tires are an option — for looks and for function.
- Ground clearance as shown is 14″ (axle) and 18″ (central). Actual clearance will depend on options, like tire size.
- Max capacity (depending on options) is 2000 lbs.* including the trailer.
- Trailer weight will vary depending on design options, but will range from 400 lbs (minimal flat bed w/o deck) on up.
Reminder: Trailer construction requires metalworking skills and tools for things like cutting, drilling, accurate fixturing and set-up, as well as welding. Strength, durability, and enjoyment depend on how well the trailer is made. Build it well, then Enjoy the Finished Project !!
Trailer Plans & Information:
- Purchase these plans with the “ADD TO CART” button above. After payment confirmation, the Plans are immediately available for Download. Use the link on the return page, or in the email receipt, or login for access.
- For more information about the plans, check out these two articles: What’s In The Plans? and What Makes Our Trailer Plans Better?
- Then, for more on trailers, try these two articles from Synthesis Engineering: “What Makes A Good Trailer Design?” and “Choosing The Right Utility Trailer”.