One of our most popular trailers sizes. This 5′ x 8′ – 3500# utility trailer has a torsion axle, yet it is just as tough and durable as it’s 5 x 8 Leaf Spring brother. The size is popular because for many people it’s the perfect size. These plans are designed with full Engineering for an excellent trailer.
- 5′ x 8′ is the Functional Bed Size (Inside Frame Rails for 5′ Cargo Width). We think the width of the cargo is a better measure than the actual width of the trailer.
- Torsion Axle Utility Trailer – 3500 lb. Capacity – Designed for a Single, Torsion Axle.
- Has Design Options for a Building a Ramp, and Sides and More. See the images on this page for a peek at some of our standard options. Build it the way you want it.
- Blueprints Include an Optional Motorcycle Rack and lots of Tie-Down Options.
- Plans Include Complete Drawings and Illustrated Instructions — many pages of great information.
5′ x 8′ – Utility Trailer Details:
Plans include easy to follow, illustrated instructions, with a parts list, and recommendations for materials and components. Then, because it’s your trailer, we include options for customizing — so you can build it just the way you want it. (The images show possible options.)
We recommend you look through the options, then choose the ones that will make the trailer perfect for you. Use these ideas, or some of your own. A top, sides or tailgate. Maybe a ramp, a tongue mounted toolbox, tie-down bars, or something unique. Use these plans as a base, then customize it perfect.
5′ x 8′ – 3500# Torsion Axle Trailer Technical Information:
- True trailer bed size is 5 ft. 2″ wide by 8 ft. 3″ long — for a full usable 5′ x 8′ deck size, even with added sides.
- Overall length — including the tongue — is ~147 inches. (Can vary with options.)
- Trailer bed height depends on design options and can range from 16 inches up. (Bed height shown is 20″.)
- Max capacity (depending on options) is 5′ x 8′ – 3500# * including the trailer weight.
- True Torsion Axle Utility Trailer Design — Engineered for long life — even when fully loading the torsion axle.
- While trailer weight varies with design options, the minimal flat bed is approximately 600 lbs. Weight goes up with options from there. See our FAQ on trailer weight.
Reminder: Trailer construction requires metalworking skills and tools for things like cutting, drilling, accurate fixturing and set-up, as well as welding. Strength, durability, and enjoyment depend on how well the trailer is made. Build it well, then Enjoy the Finished Project !!
Trailer Plans & Information:
- Purchase these plans with the “ADD TO CART” button above. After payment confirmation, the Plans are immediately available for Download. Use the link on the return page, or in the email receipt, or login for access.
- For more information about the plans, check out these two articles: What’s In The Plans? and What Makes Our Trailer Plans Better?
- Then, for more on trailers, try these two articles from Synthesis Engineering: “What Makes A Good Trailer Design?” and “Choosing The Right Utility Trailer”.