These plans are a best seller. A trailer made from these 5×8 Trailer Plans is better than a pickup truck for yard work, moving, or for taking the motorcycle(s). The trailer is designed strong with the right materials in the right places. C-Channel and Rectangular Tube for a sealed design for optimal strength and weight and corrosion resistance. Check out the unique features.
- Single axle, leaf spring design.
- 5′ x 8′ nominal bed size. Actual bed is a little larger so it will carry a full 5′ x 8′ payload.
- 3500 lb. trailer capacity.
- Plans include several options to make the trailer perfect for you.
- Options like a Convertible Tailgate, a Removable Ramp that stores under the bed, and several possibilities for sides are all there.
- Motorcycle stand plans included.
- Plans include complete drawings and instructions.
5×8 Trailer Plans Details:
Plans include easy to follow, illustrated instructions which include a materials list, a parts list, suggested places to purchase the parts, and construction options. The animation shows some of the options like a landscape style hinged tailgate. The 5×8 Trailer Plans have these same options.
The trailer design is strong, and it’s perfect even as the base flatbed. Sides add utility, but are not there for strength or stiffness. There are also sever deck options like plywood or 2x dimensional lumber. You choose how it all comes together.
Design options in the plans help customize the trailer to meet your particular needs. Things like a top, sides or tailgate add function if you want. Extras like a motorcycle stand, a ramp and toolbox mounting can also make the trailer perfect. Also read this article about customizing.
Utility Trailer Technical Information:
- Trailer bed size is slightly larger than 5 ft. wide x 8 ft. long — long enough to lay 8′ sheet goods down flat, then close the tailgate.
- Overall length including the tongue is ~146 inches. (May vary with options.)
- 5×8 trailer plans bed height will depend on design options chosen and can range from 17 inches up. (Bed height shown is ~19″.)
- Max capacity (depending on options) is 3500 lbs.* including the trailer.
- Trailer weight will vary depending on design options, but will range from 600 lbs (minimal flat bed) up.
Reminder: Trailer construction requires metalworking skills and tools for things like cutting, drilling, accurate fixturing and set-up, as well as welding. Strength, durability, and enjoyment depend on how well the trailer is made. Build it well, then Enjoy the Finished Project !!
Trailer Plans & Information:
- Purchase these plans with the “ADD TO CART” button above. After payment confirmation, the Plans are immediately available for Download. Use the link on the return page, or in the email receipt, or login for access.
- For more information about the plans, check out these two articles: What’s In The Plans? and What Makes Our Trailer Plans Better?
- Then, for more on trailers, try these two articles from Synthesis Engineering: “What Makes A Good Trailer Design?” and “Choosing The Right Utility Trailer”.