While not a trailer, this accessory for hauling or storing small boats (canoes and kayaks) is a fantastic addition to a trailer. The canoe / kayak rack is designed to be set up and used, or folded up and set aside. It can be used for storing boats or on a trailer to haul the boats. If you travel with canoes or kayaks, build this rack!
- Not a trailer, just a rack that can be added to a trailer or used separately for storage.
- Width size options for Canoe rack or a Kayak rack.
- 6 boat capacity.
- Folds up to just a few inches thick when not being used.
- Can be attached to nearly any utility type trailer.
- Makes an excellent rack to store boats — On or Off a trailer.
- Plans include complete drawings and instructions.
Canoe / Kayak Rack Details:
This nifty boat rack holds up to 6 canoes or kayaks (or any combination). When not in use, the rack comes apart for easy placement out of the way — like to rest flat (against a wall for instance) as shown in the image. Options in the plans show size changes to build it smaller as a dedicated kayak rack if canoes will not be used.
The rack is normally used in 2 different ways:
- To stand alone, usually on the ground or small platform, to hold the boats storage.
- Bolted to the flat bed of a utility trailer to become a boat hauler.
And it’s easy enough to use the same rack for both purposes.
The image shows 2 canoes loaded on one side of the rack. Plans are for the rack only, you supply the boats. This is a simple design that is easy to build. . . . Read more about What is in the Plans . . .
Construction requires metal cutting, drilling, and welding.