From us to you, these are heavy duty tandem axle trailer plans with many of options. Choose things like length, total capacity, various sides and gates and ramps because the design is for you. Make the trailer that’s perfect for you. This is a big, strong, beefy, utility trailer, and the design is very tough for heavy duty use.
- Tandem axles with leaf springs — use double eye style or slipper type.
- 6’10” x 16′ nominal deck size. (Actual size is a little longer.) Width at the fenders is 102 inches.
- Instructions explain how to narrow the bed and shorten the length if you want. Specifically, a 14′ bed option is given.
- Options for capacity include 7000 lb. or 10,000 lb. full trailer capacity. The plans have specifications for each capacity.
- Choose a fold-down Tailgate/Ramp, or a removable / hidden ramp that slides under the deck for storage.
- Multiple options for the trailer bed and for tie-down points.
- Build a flatbed, or choose one of the options for sides that are also in the plans.
- The download package includes a full set of drawings with a separate document of illustrated instructions.
Tandem Axle Trailer Plans To Customize:
Options, Options, Options. While these pages show the one tandem axle trailer plans include options for many variations. Certainly the size and loading variations are similar, so why not make the plans super versatile so you can customize them exactly the way you want? Because we think customizing for the perfect trailer is cool, that’s the way to go. Get the plans, then build the trailer for your needs. Use the options within, or add your own. We encourage customizing.
While the base design is the flatbed, in these tandem axle trailer plans the options rule. Build the trailer to meet your needs.
More About The Trailer Plans:
All our trailer designs include Strength and simplicity with standard beams, gusseting and triangulation for rigidity. They are strong, by engineering and design, starting at the frame, and they do not rely on sides to meet capacity. Yes, sides options are included, but they are not required. The frame is a solid foundation so the trailer will perform and last.
Towing Stability, comes from engineering design fundamentals to tow easily. Though the plans include adjustable options for various load types, you can choose. Equally important is Maneuverability, so the tongue is long enough to give proper vehicle spacing.
Design Versatility is in the plans — with axle and brake choices, load and deck height variations, sides (or not), a top (or not), and deck material choices. Options include ramps or tailgates like a fold down tailgate/ramp combination. — All are in the blueprints and instructions.
Finally, there are options for Flexibility like a hidden ramp, motorcycle stands, an aerodynamic-ish front, toolbox mounting, infinitely variable tie-down placement, and more. Pictures show some of the options. While we encourage customizing, we also suggest these guidelines to think about.
Plans include complete drawings and illustrations with the instructions — and construction tips. They also have a parts lists and a materials list along with suggestions for purchasing components.
Utility Trailer Technical Information:
- * Trailers built from these tandem axle trailer plans have an actual bed width of 6 feet 10 inches, and bed length of 16 feet 3.5 inches including the steel frame.
- Overall length including the tongue is approximately 247 inches, though that will vary some with options chosen.
- Trailer bed height will depend on design options chosen and will range from 20″ up. (Bed height shown is ~22″ using drop axles.)
- Plans include options for max load capacity — 7000 lbs or 10,000 lbs — (combined axle rating)* which includes the trailer weight.
- Trailer weight will vary depending on design options. The 7K base flatbed trailer plans is ~1100+ lbs without the deck, something in the range of 1400 lbs with decking. The heavier capacity trailer will weight more, then decking choices, sides and other options will change the weight too.
- Lots of options are in the plans. Things like sides, a tailgate, a mounted toolbox, ramps, motorcycle stands, etc. are there for optional functionality. Some options are mutually exclusive. Not all options are in the pictures here.
Reminder: Trailer construction requires metalworking skills and tools for things like cutting, drilling, accurate fixturing and set-up, as well as welding. Strength, durability, and enjoyment depend on how well the trailer is made. Build it well, then Enjoy the Finished Project !!
Trailer Plans & Information:
- Purchase these plans with the “ADD TO CART” button above. After payment confirmation, the Plans are immediately available for Download. Use the link on the return page, or in the email receipt, or login for access.
- For more information about the plans, check out these two articles: What’s In The Plans? and What Makes Our Trailer Plans Better?
- Then, for more on trailers, try these two articles from Synthesis Engineering: “What Makes A Good Trailer Design?” and “Choosing The Right Utility Trailer”.
Build It Better Than You Can Buy It!
And – Customize It – Exactly How You Want.
Return to the top to buy these 6’10” x 16′ – 7K to 10K – Tandem Axle Trailer Plans, then download them right after payment.
Good luck with your project!