Need a heavy duty trailer? Try this beefed up, 6000 lb. capacity, version — 6×10 utility trailer plans. This one is tough, and the plans include several options to customize and to maximize the utility for your specific needs. Build it to perform, build it to last.
- Single axle, leaf spring design.
- 6′ x 10′ nominal bed size.
- Heavy Duty Trailer 6000 lb. Axle Load Capacity.
- Includes the option for a fold-down rear Tailgate and Ramp combination.
- Has lots of options for trailer bed material and for tie-down places.
- Includes an option for a hide-under ramp, and for sides (or not).
- Build a motorcycle stand (or 2) to go with it.
- All our plans come complete with full drawings and illustrated instructions.
6×10 Heavy Duty Trailer Plans Details:
All our trailers are designed for Strength and for simplicity by using standard steel beams with gusseting and triangulation for rigidity. They are strong, by design, starting at the frame, and they do not rely on materials in the sides to meet capacity. Yes, sides can be added, but they are not required for strength. We believe the frame is the foundation for everything else when you want the trailer to perform and to last.
Towing Stability, is achieved by adhering to design fundamentals so it will tow easily. Plans include adjustable options to adapt to various load types. Equally important is Maneuverability so we make the tongue long enough for proper vehicle spacing, access and to help backing.
Design Versatility is part of the plans — with axle and brake choices, load and bed height variations, sides (or not) as an options for configuration, a top (or not), and several bed material decisions. Also, choices for ramps and tailgates — including a fold down tailgate/ramp combination if desired — all included.
Finally, there are options for Flexibility. These plans have options like a hidden ramp, motorcycle stands, an aerodynamic-ish front, toolbox mounting, infinitely variable tie-down placement, etc. all included. The pictures show several of the options including sides, ramps, tailgates, toolboxes, etc.. Customize the trailer to meet your specific needs.
Plans include the complete drawings and easy to follow, illustrated instructions. They, of course, include a bill of materials (parts and materials list) as well as suggestions for places to purchase the components. Construction tips, and lots of functionality options are part of the package.
Utility Trailer Technical Information:
- * Trailers built from these 6×10 heavy duty trailer plans have beds with an actual size 1.5″ wider than 6 ft. and 3.5″ longer than 10 ft.
- Length, including the tongue, is 52-58 inches longer than the 10 ft. bed length (depending on options and parts chosen).
- Nominal height of the bed is a factor of several design options. It will range from 16 inches up. (Standard is approximately 19″.)
- A 6000 lb. capacity axle is suggested, which is the maximum load for this heavy duty trailer, including the weight of the trailer.
- Finished weight is a function of all the design choices, typically 800 lbs for the flat bed version. With options, it maybe much higher.
- Weight increases with certain bed material options, and things like sides, tail gate, toolbox, etc..
- Many options are in the plans to give added function. Some options are mutually exclusive, with many options that are not visible in the pictures.
- There are also customization ideas for special uses – from ATV & motorcycles, to trash or furniture or landscape needs.
Trailer Plans in our 6' Bed Width Family
(Nominal bed Width is 6')
Chart Shows Bed Length & Capacity Options
|3500 lb. Single Axle *||X||X||X|
|6000 lb. Single Axle *||X||X|
|7000 lb. Tandem Axle *||X||X|
|10,000 lb. / 12,000 lb.
Tandem Axle *
Image shows a generic layout.
Actual size will vary with parts chosen.
Reminder: Trailer construction requires metal working skills and tool for things like cutting steel, drilling, accurate fixturing and set-up, as well as welding. The strength, durability, and enjoyment depend on how well the trailer is made. Build it well, and Enjoy the Project !!
Trailer Plans & Information:
- To purchase these trailer plans, use the “ADD TO CART” button above.
- For more info about our plans, please read What’s In The Plans?
- Specific info about our trailers is at What Makes Our Trailer Plans Better?
- More about trailers in general is in these two articles: “What makes a good Trailer Design?” and “Choosing the Right Utility Trailer”.