The 6×12 utility trailer is the most popular of our 6′ width trailers. It’s great for business, landscaping projects, ATV’s, moving, . . . you name it. Lots of volume, yet very maneuverable and it tows very well. Build a great trailer, in a great size, and build it to last.
- Single axle, leaf spring design.
- 6′ x 12′ nominal bed size.
- 3500 lb. trailer axle rating.
- Option for rear Tailgate that folds to a Ramp. See the above images.
- Several options for the deck and for trailer sides.
- Removable ramp that stores under the trailer, then lots of tie-down points.
- Includes bonus plans for making a motorcycle travel stand.
- Plans include complete drawings and illustrated instructions.
6×12 Utility Trailer Plans Details
All our trailer designs include Strength and simplicity with standard beams, gusseting and triangulation for rigidity. They are strong, by engineering and design, starting at the frame, and they do not rely on sides to meet capacity. Yes, sides options are included, but they are not required. The frame is a solid foundation so the trailer will perform and last.
Towing Stability, comes from engineering design fundamentals to tow easily. Though the plans include adjustable options for various load types, you can choose. Equally important is Maneuverability, so the tongue is long enough to give proper vehicle spacing.
Design Versatility is in the plans — with axle and brake choices, load and deck height variations, sides (or not), a top (or not), and deck material choices. Options include ramps or tailgates like a fold down tailgate/ramp combination. — All are in the blueprints and instructions.
Finally, there are options for Flexibility like a hidden ramp, motorcycle stands, an aerodynamic-ish front, toolbox mounting, infinitely variable tie-down placement, and more. Pictures show some of the options. While we encourage customizing, we also suggest these guidelines to think about.
Plans include complete drawings and illustrations with the instructions — and construction tips. They also have a parts lists and a materials list along with suggestions for purchasing components.
Utility Trailer Technical Information:
- * Bed size on these 6×12 utility trailer plans is 2″ wider than 6 ft. and 3.5″ longer than the 12 ft. length indicated.
- Total length with the tongue is ~199″, though options may change that for your application.
- Bed height ranges from 16″ up, depending on options chosen. (Bed height shown is ~19″ with a drop axle.)
- Axle capacity is 3500 lbs.* This is the total load capacity which includes the weight of trailer and options.
- Typical dry weight is 800+ lbs for the simple flatbed version. However, adding options like sides or tailgate or toolbox will make it heavier.
- There are many options are in the plans to extend function. Some options are mutually exclusive, but not all options are in these pictures. See the animated image for some of the ideas.
- These 6×12 utility trailer plans also include customization ideas for special uses – from ATV & motorcycles, to trash or furniture or landscape needs.
Reminder: Trailer construction requires metalworking skills and tools for things like cutting, drilling, accurate fixturing and set-up, as well as welding. Strength, durability, and enjoyment depend on how well the trailer is made. Build it well, then Enjoy the Finished Project !!
Trailer Plans & Information:
- Purchase these plans with the “ADD TO CART” button above. After payment confirmation, the Plans are immediately available for Download. Use the link on the return page, or in the email receipt, or login for access.
- For more information about the plans, check out these two articles: What’s In The Plans? and What Makes Our Trailer Plans Better?
- Then, for more on trailers, try these two articles from Synthesis Engineering: “What Makes A Good Trailer Design?” and “Choosing The Right Utility Trailer”.