6 x 12 x 3500 utility trailer is the most popular of our 6′ width trailers. It’s great trailer for numerous reasons and uses – business, landscaping projects, ATV’s, moving, . . . you name it. Lots of volume capacity, but very maneuverable and it tows very well. Build a great trailer, in a great size, and build it to last.
- Single axle, leaf spring design.
- 6′ x 12′ nominal bed size.
- 3500 lb. trailer axle rating.
- Option for rear Tailgate that folds to a Ramp.
- Several options for the bed and for sides.
- Removable ramp that stores under the trailer and lots of tie-down points.
- Plans for making motorcycle travel stands are included.
- Plans include complete drawings and illustrated instructions.
6 x 12 x 3500 Utility Trailer Plans Details:
All our trailers are designed for Strength and for simplicity by using standard steel beams with gusseting and triangulation for rigidity. They are strong, by design, starting at the frame, and they do not rely on materials in the sides to meet capacity. Yes, sides can be added, but they are not required for strength. We believe the frame is the foundation for everything else when you want the trailer to perform and to last.
Towing Stability, is achieved by adhering to design fundamentals so it will tow easily. Plans include adjustable options to adapt to various load types. Equally important is Maneuverability so we make the tongue long enough for proper vehicle spacing, access and to help backing.
Design Versatility is part of the plans — with axle and brake choices, load and bed height variations, sides (or not) as an options for configuration, a top (or not), and several bed material decisions. Also, choices for ramps and tailgates — including a fold down tailgate/ramp combination if desired — all included.
Finally, there are options for Flexibility. These plans have options like a hidden ramp, motorcycle stands, an aerodynamic-ish front, toolbox mounting, infinitely variable tie-down placement, etc. all included. The pictures show several of the options including sides, ramps, tailgates, toolboxes, etc.. Customize the trailer to meet your specific needs.
Plans include the complete drawings and easy to follow, illustrated instructions. They, of course, include a bill of materials (parts and materials list) as well as suggestions for places to purchase the components. Construction tips, and lots of functionality options are part of the package.
Utility Trailer Technical Information:
- * Bed size on these 6 x 12 x 3500 utility trailer plans is 1.5″ wider than 6 ft. and 3.5″ longer than the 12 ft. length indicated.
- Total length with the tongue is 52″ – 58″ longer than the indicated 12 ft. bed length.
- Bed height ranges from 16″ and up depending depend on the design options chosen. (Bed height shown is ~19″.)
- Axle capacity is 3500 lbs.* This is the total load capacity which includes the weight of trailer and options.
- Typical weight is 800 lbs – 900 lbs for the flat bed version. Adding options like sides or tail gate or toolbox, etc. will make it heavier.
- Options are included in the plans to extend function. Some options are mutually exclusive. Not all options are shown. See the animated image for some of the ideas.
- 6 x 12 x 3500 utility trailer plans also include customization ideas for special uses – from ATV & motorcycles, to trash or furniture or landscape needs.
Trailer Plans in our 6' Bed Width Family
(Nominal bed Width is 6')
Chart Shows Bed Length & Capacity Options
|3500 lb. Single Axle *||X||X||X|
|6000 lb. Single Axle *||X||X|
|7000 lb. Tandem Axle *||X||X|
|10,000 lb. / 12,000 lb.
Tandem Axle *
Image shows a generic layout.
Actual size will vary with parts chosen.
Reminder: Trailer construction requires metal working skills and tool for things like cutting steel, drilling, accurate fixturing and set-up, as well as welding. The strength, durability, and enjoyment depend on how well the trailer is made. Build it well, and Enjoy the Project !!
Trailer Plans & Information:
- To purchase these trailer plans, use the “ADD TO CART” button above.
- For more info about our plans, please read What’s In The Plans?
- Specific info about our trailers is at What Makes Our Trailer Plans Better?
- More about trailers in general is in these two articles: “What makes a good Trailer Design?” and “Choosing the Right Utility Trailer”.