Notice of Discontinuing Trailer Plans:
These plans are being replaced by our newer, more complete and higher capacity plans — 6’10” deck width, by 16′ length with a choice of 12,000# or 14,000# or 16,000# trailer capacity. In addition, we also revamped our other 6×16 trailer plans replacing them with a similar 6’10” x 16′ trailer, but with 7000# and 10,000# options. Both new plan sets are customizable for a width matching these being replaced. The new plans also have length options of 14′ or 16′ deck.
Please follow the links above to get the new ones, or get these plans now while they are still available.
A new version of our 6′ x 14′ HD utility trailer. From these plans you can build a big, strong, beefy trailer designed very tough for continual heavy duty use. If you’re looking to build a large, very heavy duty trailer, this is certainly one to consider. A lighter option is the 6′ x 14′ x 7000#.
- Tandem axle, leaf spring design.
- 6′ x 14′ nominal bed size.
- 12,000 lb. Combined Trailer Axle Capacity.
- Option for rear Tailgate/Ramp combination.
- Multiple options for trailer bed and for tie-down points.
- Removable / hidden ramp option.
- Various sides options included.
- Plans include full drawings and illustrated instructions.
6×14 Tandem Axle Trailer Plans Details:
All our trailer designs include Strength and simplicity with standard beams, gusseting and triangulation for rigidity. They are strong, by engineering and design, starting at the frame, and they do not rely on sides to meet capacity. Yes, sides options are included, but they are not required. The frame is a solid foundation so the trailer will perform and last.
Towing Stability, comes from engineering design fundamentals to tow easily. Though the plans include adjustable options for various load types, you can choose. Equally important is Maneuverability, so the tongue is long enough to give proper vehicle spacing.
Design Versatility is in the plans — with axle and brake choices, load and deck height variations, sides (or not), a top (or not), and deck material choices. Options include ramps or tailgates like a fold down tailgate/ramp combination. — All are in the blueprints and instructions.
Finally, there are options for Flexibility like a hidden ramp, motorcycle stands, an aerodynamic-ish front, toolbox mounting, infinitely variable tie-down placement, and more. Pictures show some of the options. While we encourage customizing, we also suggest these guidelines to think about.
Plans include complete drawings and illustrations with the instructions — and construction tips. They also have a parts lists and a materials list along with suggestions for purchasing components.
Utility Trailer Technical Information:
- * Actual bed size is 1.5″ wider than 6 ft. and 3.5″ longer than the indicated 14 ft. bed length.
- Overall trailer length including the tongue is 52″-58″ longer than the indicated 14 ft. bed length (depending on design options).
- Bed height is a factor of design options (like axle, springs, tires, etc.) ranging from 16″ up. (Typical height is approx. 19″)
- Combined axle capacity is 12,000 lbs.* Load capacity includes the trailer weight.
- Trailer weight will vary depending on design options — Typically 1500 lbs and higher.
- Trailer weight increases with added options like sides or tail gate or toolbox, etc..
- Design options are in the plans for a variety of functions. Some options are mutually exclusive. Not all options are in the animated images here.
- Plans include customizing ideas for special uses – like ATV’s or motorcycles, or other hauling needs.
Trailer Plans in our 6' Bed Width Family
(Nominal bed Width is 6')
Chart Shows Bed Length & Capacity Options
|3500 lb. Single Axle *||X||X||X|
|6000 lb. Single Axle *||X||X|
|7000 lb. Tandem Axle *||X||X|
|10,000 lb. / 12,000 lb.|
Tandem Axle *
* Load capacity is the complete trailer weight (Trailer + Cargo).
Image shows a generic layout.
Actual size will vary with parts chosen.
Reminder: Trailer construction requires metalworking skills and tools for things like cutting, drilling, accurate fixturing and set-up, as well as welding. The strength, durability, and enjoyment depend on how well the trailer is made. Build it well, then Enjoy the Finished Project !!
Trailer Plans & Information:
- Purchase these plans with the “ADD TO CART” button above. Download is available right after confirmed payment.
- For more information about the plans, check out these two articles: What’s In The Plans? and What Makes Our Trailer Plans Better?
- Then, for more on trailers, try these two articles from Synthesis Engineering: “What Makes A Good Trailer Design?” and “Choosing The Right Utility Trailer”.