These plans for the biggest, strongest, beefiest trailer we provide won’t disappoint. This trailer is designed very tough for continual heavy duty use. If you’re looking to build a large, very heavy duty trailer — one that has lots of options for customization — this is certainly one to consider.
- Tandem axle, leaf spring design.
- 6′ x 16′ nominal bed size. (Actual size is a little bigger, see below.)
- 12,000 lb. Combined Axle
- Option for rear Tailgate/Ramp combination.
- Multiple options for trailer bed and for tie-down points.
- Removable / hidden ramp option.
- Various sides options included.
- Plans include full drawings and illustrated instructions.
6 x 16 Trailer Plans Details:
All our trailers are designed for Strength and simplicity with standard beams, gusseting and triangulation for rigidity. They are fully engineered to be strong, by design, starting at the frame, and they do not rely on sides to meet capacity. Yes, sides options are included, but they are not required. The frame is the solid foundation built to perform and to last.
Towing Stability, is achieved with engineering design fundamentals to tow easily. Plans include adjustable options for various load types. Equally important is Maneuverability, so the tongue gives proper vehicle spacing.
Design Versatility is in the plans — with axle and brake choices, load and deck height variations, sides (or not), a top (or not), and deck material choices. Options include ramps or tailgates like a fold down tailgate/ramp combination. — All are included.
Finally, there are options for Flexibility like a hidden ramp, motorcycle stands, an aerodynamic-ish front, toolbox mounting, infinitely variable tie-down placement, and more. Pictures show some of the options. We encourage you to customize the trailer for your unique needs.
Plans include complete drawings and illustrated instructions — with construction tips. They also have a parts and materials list with suggestions for purchasing components.
Utility Trailer Technical Information:
- * Trailers built from these plans have an actual bed width of 1.5″ wider than 6 ft., and bed length of 3.5″ longer than 16 ft. to accommodate the steel frame.
- Overall length including the tongue is 52 – 58 inches longer than the indicated bed length.
- Trailer bed height will depend on design options chosen and will range from 16″ up. (Bed height shown is ~19″.)
- Max load capacity (depending on options) is 12,000 lbs. (combined axle rating)* and includes the trailer weight.
- Trailer weight will vary depending on design options — Typically 1500+ lbs (tandem axle design) — which includes decking. With options, the weight may be much higher.
- Lots of options are included. Things like sides, a tail gate, a mounted toolbox, ramps, motorcycle stands, etc. are included for optional functionality. Some options are mutually exclusive. Not all options are shown in the pictures here.
Trailer Plans in our 6' Bed Width Family
(Nominal bed Width is 6')
Chart Shows Bed Length & Capacity Options
|3500 lb. Single Axle *||X||X||X|
|6000 lb. Single Axle *||X||X|
|7000 lb. Tandem Axle *||X||X|
|10,000 lb. / 12,000 lb.
Tandem Axle *
* Load capacity is the complete trailer weight (Trailer + Cargo).
Image shows a generic layout.
Actual size will vary with parts chosen.
Reminder: Trailer construction requires metalworking skills and tools for things like cutting, drilling, accurate fixturing and set-up, as well as welding. The strength, durability, and enjoyment depend on how well the trailer is made. Build it well, then Enjoy the Finished Project !!
Trailer Plans & Information:
- Purchase these plans with the “ADD TO CART” button above. Download is available right after confirmed payment.
- For more information about the plans, check out these two articles: What’s In The Plans? and What Makes Our Trailer Plans Better?
- And, for even more about trailers, try these two articles from Synthesis Engineering: “What Makes A Good Trailer Design?” and “Choosing The Right Utility Trailer”.