One of our larger twin axle offerings. Like all the trailers in our plans, this is designed with beef for uncompromised strength and with lots of options for versatility allowing you to customize it to meet your needs.
- Tandem axle, leaf spring design.
- 6′ x 16′ nominal bed size.
- 7000 lb. Combined Trailer Axle Capacity.
- Option for rear Tailgate/Ramp combination.
- Multiple options for trailer bed and for tie-down points.
- Removable / hidden ramp option.
- Various sides options included.
- Plans include full drawings and illustrated instructions.
6×16 Utility Trailer Plans Details:
All our trailers are designed for Strength and for simplicity by using standard steel beams with gusseting and triangulation for rigidity. They are strong, by design, starting at the frame, and they do not rely on materials in the sides to meet capacity. Yes, sides can be added, but they are not required for strength. We believe the frame is the foundation for everything else when you want the trailer to perform and to last.
Towing Stability, is achieved by adhering to design fundamentals so it will tow easily. Plans include adjustable options to adapt to various load types. Equally important is Maneuverability so we make the tongue long enough for proper vehicle spacing, access and to help backing.
Design Versatility is part of the plans — with axle and brake choices, load and bed height variations, sides (or not) as an options for configuration, a top (or not), and several bed material decisions. Also, choices for ramps and tailgates — including a fold down tailgate/ramp combination if desired — all included.
Finally, there are options for Flexibility. These plans have options like a hidden ramp, motorcycle stands, an aerodynamic-ish front, toolbox mounting, infinitely variable tie-down placement, etc. all included. The pictures show several of the options including sides, ramps, tailgates, toolboxes, etc.. Customize the trailer to meet your specific needs.
Plans include the complete drawings and easy to follow, illustrated instructions. They, of course, include a bill of materials (parts and materials list) as well as suggestions for places to purchase the components. Construction tips, and lots of functionality options are part of the package.
Utility Trailer Technical Information:
- * Trailer plans show actual bed width is 1.5″ wider than 6 ft., and bed length is 3.5″ longer than 16 ft..
- With the tongue, overall length is 52″-58″ longer than the 16 ft. bed length (depending on options).
- Trailer bed height depends on axle and tire options. Typical bed height is around 19″.
- Axle capacity (combined) is 7000 lbs.* Loading capacity must also include the trailer weight.
- Trailer weight will vary depending on design options — Typically 1200+ lbs for basic flat bed. Added options like sides, toolbox, ramps, etc. will make this go much higher.
- Options and extras are included with each set of plans to provide a variety of function. Some options are mutually exclusive. Not all options are shown in the animated pictures shown.
- Plans include some ideas for special uses – like landscaping, motorcycles, etc..
Trailer Plans in our 6' Bed Width Family
(Nominal bed Width is 6')
Chart Shows Bed Length & Capacity Options
|3500 lb. Single Axle *||X||X||X|
|6000 lb. Single Axle *||X||X|
|7000 lb. Tandem Axle *||X||X|
|10,000 lb. / 12,000 lb.
Tandem Axle *
Image shows a generic layout.
Actual size will vary with parts chosen.
Reminder: Trailer construction requires metal working skills and tool for things like cutting steel, drilling, accurate fixturing and set-up, as well as welding. The strength, durability, and enjoyment depend on how well the trailer is made. Build it well, and Enjoy the Project !!
Trailer Plans & Information:
- To purchase these trailer plans, use the “ADD TO CART” button above.
- For more info about our plans, please read What’s In The Plans?
- Specific info about our trailers is at What Makes Our Trailer Plans Better?
- More about trailers in general is in these two articles: “What makes a good Trailer Design?” and “Choosing the Right Utility Trailer”.