One of our larger twin axle offerings. Like all the trailers in our plans, this is designed with beef for uncompromised strength and with lots of options for versatility allowing you to customize it to meet your needs.
- Tandem axle, leaf spring design.
- 6′ x 16′ nominal bed size.
- 7000 lb. Combined Trailer Axle Capacity.
- Option for rear Tailgate/Ramp combination.
- Multiple options for trailer bed and for tie-down points.
- Removable / hidden ramp option.
- Various sides options included.
- Plans include full drawings and illustrated instructions.
6×16 Utility Trailer Plans Details:
All our trailers are designed for Strength and simplicity with standard beams, gusseting and triangulation for rigidity. They are fully engineered to be strong, by design, starting at the frame, and they do not rely on sides to meet capacity. Yes, sides options are included, but they are not required. The frame is the solid foundation built to perform and to last.
Towing Stability, is achieved with engineering design fundamentals to tow easily. Plans include adjustable options for various load types. Equally important is Maneuverability, so the tongue gives proper vehicle spacing.
Design Versatility is in the plans — with axle and brake choices, load and deck height variations, sides (or not), a top (or not), and deck material choices. Options include ramps or tailgates like a fold down tailgate/ramp combination. — All are included.
Finally, there are options for Flexibility like a hidden ramp, motorcycle stands, an aerodynamic-ish front, toolbox mounting, infinitely variable tie-down placement, and more. Pictures show some of the options. We encourage you to customize the trailer for your unique needs.
Plans include complete drawings and illustrated instructions — with construction tips. They also have a parts and materials list with suggestions for purchasing components.
Utility Trailer Technical Information:
- * Trailer plans show actual bed width is 1.5″ wider than 6 ft., and bed length is 3.5″ longer than 16 ft..
- With the tongue, overall length is 52″-58″ longer than the 16 ft. bed length (depending on options).
- Trailer bed height depends on axle and tire options. Typical bed height is around 19″.
- Axle capacity (combined) is 7000 lbs.* Loading capacity must also include the trailer weight.
- Trailer weight will vary depending on design options — Typically 1200+ lbs for basic flat bed. Added options like sides, toolbox, ramps, etc. will make this go much higher.
- Options and extras are included with each set of plans to provide a variety of function. Some options are mutually exclusive. Not all options are shown in the animated pictures shown.
- Plans include some ideas for special uses – like landscaping, motorcycles, etc..
Trailer Plans in our 6' Bed Width Family
(Nominal bed Width is 6')
Chart Shows Bed Length & Capacity Options
|3500 lb. Single Axle *||X||X||X|
|6000 lb. Single Axle *||X||X|
|7000 lb. Tandem Axle *||X||X|
|10,000 lb. / 12,000 lb.
Tandem Axle *
* Load capacity is the complete trailer weight (Trailer + Cargo).
Image shows a generic layout.
Actual size will vary with parts chosen.
Reminder: Trailer construction requires metalworking skills and tools for things like cutting, drilling, accurate fixturing and set-up, as well as welding. The strength, durability, and enjoyment depend on how well the trailer is made. Build it well, then Enjoy the Finished Project !!
Trailer Plans & Information:
- Purchase these plans with the “ADD TO CART” button above. Download is available right after confirmed payment.
- For more information about the plans, check out these two articles: What’s In The Plans? and What Makes Our Trailer Plans Better?
- Then, for more on trailers, try these two articles from Synthesis Engineering: “What Makes A Good Trailer Design?” and “Choosing The Right Utility Trailer”.