The 6×8 trailer is one size wider than the popular 5×8, and includes the same options, strength, and stability. Construction on the 6×8 trailer main frame beams are rectangular steel tube. A very good choice for a little wider trailer.
If you need the next size longer, we also offer plans for a 6×10 utility trailer.
- Single axle, leaf spring design.
- 6′ x 8′ nominal bed size.
- 3500 lb. Axle Capacity.
- Option for rear Tailgate/Ramp combination.
- Multiple material options for the trailer deck and for tie-down points.
- Removable ramp, and sides options included.
- Motorcycle stand plans included.
- Plans include complete drawings and instructions.
6×8 Trailer Plans Detail:
All our trailers are designed for Strength and simplicity with standard beams, gusseting and triangulation for rigidity. They are fully engineered to be strong, by design, starting at the frame, and they do not rely on sides to meet capacity. Yes, sides options are included, but they are not required. The frame is the solid foundation built to perform and to last.
Towing Stability, is achieved with engineering design fundamentals to tow easily. Plans include adjustable options for various load types. Equally important is Maneuverability, so the tongue gives proper vehicle spacing.
Design Versatility is in the plans — with axle and brake choices, load and deck height variations, sides (or not), a top (or not), and deck material choices. Options include ramps or tailgates like a fold down tailgate/ramp combination. — All are included.
Finally, there are options for Flexibility like a hidden ramp, motorcycle stands, an aerodynamic-ish front, toolbox mounting, infinitely variable tie-down placement, and more. Pictures show some of the options. We encourage you to customize the trailer for your unique needs.
Plans include complete drawings and illustrated instructions — with construction tips. They also have a parts and materials list with suggestions for purchasing components.
Utility Trailer Technical Information:
- * Actual bed size is 1.5″ wider than 6 ft. and 3.5″ longer than 8 ft.
- Overall length including the tongue is 52 – 58 inches longer than 8 ft.
- 6×8 trailer bed height depends on design options chosen, ranging from 16 inches up. (Height shown is ~19″.)
- Max load (depending on options) is 3500 lbs.* which includes the trailer weight.
- Trailer weight varies depending on design options — Typically in the 400-600 lb range which includes decking, wheels, tires, axles, etc..
- Trailer weight varies with options like adding sides, type of tailgate (or not), or top or toolbox, etc..
- Several options are included with each set of plans to provide a wide variety of function. Some options are mutually exclusive, and not all options are shown in the pictures here.
- Plans include customization ideas for special uses – from ATV & motorcycles, to trash or furniture hauling or landscape needs.
Trailer Plans in our 6' Bed Width Family
(Nominal bed Width is 6')
Chart Shows Bed Length & Capacity Options
|3500 lb. Single Axle *||X||X||X|
|6000 lb. Single Axle *||X||X|
|7000 lb. Tandem Axle *||X||X|
|10,000 lb. / 12,000 lb.
Tandem Axle *
Image shows a generic layout.
Actual size will vary with parts chosen.
Reminder: Trailer construction requires metalworking skills and tools for things like cutting, drilling, accurate fixturing and set-up, as well as welding. The strength, durability, and enjoyment depend on how well the trailer is made. Build it well, and Enjoy the Project !!
Trailer Plans & Information:
- Purchase these plans with the “ADD TO CART” button above.
- Please read What’s In The Plans? and What Makes Our Trailer Plans Better? for more info.
- For even more about trailers, try these two articles from Synthesis Engineering: “What Makes A Good Trailer Design?” and “Choosing The Right Utility Trailer”.