This Gantry is designed as a perfect size garage crane. It maximizes size, while it still rolls easily through a standard 7′ high garage door. I will easily lift engines, boats, motorcycles, snowmobiles or most any other heavy project. It’s a garage crane that expands and contracts to your project through adjustments. Furthermore, it comes apart easily for storage or transport. The perfect homemade crane.
- Top I-beam design, 8-12 ft + width options, and even more with adjustments.
- Telescoping legs allow the top beam to go up and down. (Lowest position fits under a 7′ high garage door.)
- Capacity: Up to 6000 lb (depending on beam options and width chosen).
- Options for Steel or Aluminum Top I-Beam.
- Contains spring support wheel assembly plans (for safety and mobility).
- Plans include garage crane parts drawings, build instructions, and list of materials.
These plans follow the design of the Original Mobile Crane, then the Upsized Monster Shop Crane. Legs telescope from a low position that will just pass through a standard garage door, yet expand up for almost 10.5 feet clearance under the top beam! That’s enough height to lift a boat, or to lift equipment onto a trailer. Think of it as a design to maximize size while still fitting through a standard garage door.
The garage crane is heavy duty – strong enough to do almost any garage job, but can disassemble for portability or for storage. It has roll around mobility with safety using the spring loaded wheel mounts — so, when loaded it sets down on the ground for safety.
Construction requires steel cutting, welding and drilling.
Load Capacity depends on options, and ranges from 2,000 to 6,000 lbs.*
Plans include easy to follow illustrated instructions, a List of Materials, details for building each of the pieces, Construction Hints and options. The options include things like beam sizes, steel or aluminum, overall size, wheels, etc. . . . Read more about What is in the Plans . . .
Maximize Your Garage Crane
Make the most of your excellent garage (or shop) crane. It’s the perfect engine hoist, boat lift, snowmobile hoist; and, it’s great for lots of other lifting chores. This garage crane (mini gantry) is fully adjustable up and down, then with the I-Beam Connector Clamp (Free Plans) the crane also adjusts width-wise so it can fit your project. It’s easy to use, easy to adjust, and easy to disassemble for storage or portability. Best of all . . . You Can Build It Yourself !
To make lifting even easier, check out the accessories! — Our “Winching Pole” & Load Leveler is the perfect hoist addition for many gantry cranes. Then, the I-Beam Connector Clamp (Free Plans) gives positional options for width without cutting or drilling extra holes in the top beam. We recommend both.
Beam trolley(s), winch and lifting equipment, as well as anchors are available through retailers like Grainger and more. Cheaper stuff can be found by searching Amazon and other online outlets.
Need something bigger? See our larger Up-Sized Shop Gantry Crane Plans!
* Load capacity for the crane is a static vertical load which is highly dependent on materials used, construction techniques, assembly methods and proper load distribution. Load capacity does not include capacities for trolley, cables, chains or other hoist equipment. Do not exceed manufactures limits. Always use Extreme Caution when lifting, and don’t allow hanging loads to swing.