By design, this gantry is the perfect size garage crane. It maximizes size, yet it still rolls through a standard 7′ high garage door. It will easily lift engines, boats, motorcycles, snowmobiles, trailers or most any other heavy project. It’s a garage crane that expands and contracts to your project through adjustments. Furthermore, it comes apart easily for storage or transport. The perfect homemade crane.
- Top I-beam design with width options from 8 ft to 12 ft +, and even more with adjustments.
- Telescoping legs allow the top beam to go up and down. The lowest position fits just under a standard 7′ high garage door.
- Lift Capacity: Up to 6000 lb (depending on beam options and width).
- Options of Steel or Aluminum for the Top I-Beam. (Engineering data for choosing.)
- Contains spring support wheel assembly in the plans (for safety and roll around mobility).
- Plans include garage crane part drawings, build instructions, and a full bill of materials.
These plans follow the design of the Original Mobile Crane, then the Upsized Monster Shop Crane. Legs telescope from a low position that will just pass through a standard garage door, then they expand up in several positions. The top height gives almost 10.5 feet clearance under the top beam! That’s enough height to lift a boat, or equipment to a trailer. Think of it as a design to maximize size while still fitting through a standard garage door.
The garage crane is heavy duty – strong enough to do almost any garage job, yet it will disassemble for portability or for storage. It has roll around mobility with spring loaded caster wheel mounts (for safety) — so when it is lifting, it won’t roll away. Instead, it sets down solid on the ground for safety.
Construction requires steel cutting, welding and drilling.
Load Capacity depends on options, and ranges from 2,000 to 6,000 lbs.*
Plans include easy to follow illustrated instructions, a List of Materials, details for building each of the pieces, Construction Hints, and design options. The options include things like beam sizes, steel or aluminum, overall size, wheels, length of legs, etc. . . . Read more about What is in the Plans . . .
Maximize Your Garage Crane
Make the most of this excellent garage (or shop) crane. It’s the perfect engine hoist, boat lift, snowmobile hoist, etc.; and, it’s great for lots of other lifting chores. This garage crane (mini gantry) is fully adjustable up and down, then with the I-Beam Connector Clamp (Free Plans) the crane also adjusts width-wise so it can fit your project — and your available garage (or shop) space. It’s easy to use, easy to adjust, and easy to disassemble for storage or portability. Best of all . . . You Can Build It Yourself !
To make lifting even easier, check out the crane accessories! — Our “Winching Pole” & Load Leveler is the perfect hoist addition for many gantry cranes. Then, there is the I-Beam Connector Clamp (Free Plans) which gives infinite width options without cutting or drilling extra holes in the top beam. We recommend both, and we use both in our shop.
Beam trolley(s), winch and lifting equipment, are needed for full function of the garage crane. Quality lifting accessories are available through retailers like Grainger, MSC and others, while cheaper stuff is easy to find on Amazon, eBay, etc.
Need something bigger? Then see our larger Up-Sized Shop Gantry Crane Plans!
* Load capacity for the crane is a static vertical load which is highly dependent on materials used, construction techniques, assembly methods and proper load distribution. Load capacity does not include capacities for trolley, cables, chains or other hoist equipment. Do not exceed manufactures limits on any of the equipment. Always use Extreme Caution when lifting, and don’t allow hanging loads to swing. Here is some more good Crane Safety advice.