A heavy duty version of our 6 x 12 Utility Trailer. This is a big, strong trailer designed for action. The plans include lots of options for customization to build in the best options to meet your needs. Build it to perform, and it will last.
- Single axle, leaf spring design.
- 6′ x 12′ standard bed size.
- 6000 lb. axle for heavy duty trailer capacity.
- Build the fold-down tailgate to ramp option.
- Includes multiple options for sides and for different trailer bed materials.
- Try the hidden / removable ramp option.
- Add tie-down locations, as many as you want.
- Includes plans for a motorcycle stand.
- Download the drawings and instructions.
6 x 12 Utility Trailer Plans Details:
All our trailers are designed for Strength and for simplicity by using standard steel beams with gusseting and triangulation for rigidity. They are strong, by design, starting at the frame, and they do not rely on materials in the sides to meet capacity. Yes, sides can be added, but they are not required for strength. We believe the frame is the foundation for everything else when you want the trailer to perform and to last.
Towing Stability, is achieved by adhering to design fundamentals so it will tow easily. Plans include adjustable options to adapt to various load types. Equally important is Maneuverability so we make the tongue long enough for proper vehicle spacing, access and to help backing.
Design Versatility is part of the plans — with axle and brake choices, load and bed height variations, sides (or not) as an options for configuration, a top (or not), and several bed material decisions. Also, choices for ramps and tailgates — including a fold down tailgate/ramp combination if desired — all included.
Finally, there are options for Flexibility. These plans have options like a hidden ramp, motorcycle stands, an aerodynamic-ish front, toolbox mounting, infinitely variable tie-down placement, etc. all included. The pictures show several of the options including sides, ramps, tailgates, toolboxes, etc.. Customize the trailer to meet your specific needs.
Plans include the complete drawings and easy to follow, illustrated instructions. They, of course, include a bill of materials (parts and materials list) as well as suggestions for places to purchase the components. Construction tips, and lots of functionality options are part of the package.
Utility Trailer Technical Information:
- * The 6 x 12 utility trailer plans show a flat bed size which is 1.5 inches wider than 6 ft. and 3.5 inches longer than 12 ft.
- Total length, including the tongue, is 52 – 58 inches longer than the 12 ft. bed.
- Trailer width is shown at a little over 95 inches. Actual width can vary some depending on the components (axles, tires, fenders) chosen.
- Bed height also depends on component choices and will vary from 16 inches up. (Height shown is approximately 19 inches.)
- Max load capacity (depending on options) is 6000 lbs.* which includes the weight of the trailer.
- Again, options will change trailer weight. The flat bed version will typically weight 800 lbs – 900 lbs. Options like decking choice, sides (or not), tail gate or toolbox, etc. will increase weight.
- Many options are given in the plans. Some options are mutually exclusive, and not all options are shown in the pictures here.
- We recommend options and customization to make the trailer perform to your exact needs. To assist with that, these 6 x 12 Utility Trailer Plans include customization ideas for special uses – from ATV & motorcycles, to trash or furniture or landscape moving. Feel free to add customization of your own.
Trailer Plans in our 6' Bed Width Family
(Nominal bed Width is 6')
Chart Shows Bed Length & Capacity Options
|3500 lb. Single Axle *||X||X||X|
|6000 lb. Single Axle *||X||X|
|7000 lb. Tandem Axle *||X||X|
|10,000 lb. / 12,000 lb.
Tandem Axle *
Image shows a generic layout.
Actual size will vary with parts chosen.
Reminder: Trailer construction requires metal working skills and tool for things like cutting steel, drilling, accurate fixturing and set-up, as well as welding. The strength, durability, and enjoyment depend on how well the trailer is made. Build it well, and Enjoy the Project !!
Trailer Plans & Information:
- To purchase these trailer plans, use the “ADD TO CART” button above.
- For more info about our plans, please read What’s In The Plans?
- Specific info about our trailers is at What Makes Our Trailer Plans Better?
- More about trailers in general is in these two articles: “What makes a good Trailer Design?” and “Choosing the Right Utility Trailer”.