A heavier duty version of our 6 x 12 Utility Trailer with options for capacity of 6000 lbs or 7000 lbs. This is a big, strong trailer designed for action. The plans include lots of options for customization to build to meet your needs. Build it to perform, and it will last.
For a lighter duty version of this trailer, see the 6 x 12 – 3500 lb. plans.
- Complete Engineered 6 x 12 Utility Trailer Design.
- Single axle, leaf spring design.
- 6′ x 12′ standard bed size.
- 6000 lb. or option for 7000 lb. axle for heavy duty trailer capacity.
- Build the fold-down tailgate and ramp option.
- Includes multiple options for sides and for different trailer bed materials.
- Try the hidden / removable ramp option.
- Add tie-down locations, with options given, as many as you want.
- Includes plans for a motorcycle stand.
- Download the drawings and instructions.
6 x 12 Utility Trailer Plans Details:
All our trailer designs include Strength and simplicity with standard beams, gusseting and triangulation for rigidity. They are strong, by engineering and design, starting at the frame, and they do not rely on sides to meet capacity. Yes, sides options are included, but they are not required. The frame is a solid foundation so the trailer will perform and last.
Towing Stability, comes from engineering design fundamentals to tow easily. Though the plans include adjustable options for various load types, you can choose. Equally important is Maneuverability, so the tongue is long enough to give proper vehicle spacing.
Design Versatility is in the plans — with axle and brake choices, load and deck height variations, sides (or not), a top (or not), and deck material choices. Options include ramps or tailgates like a fold down tailgate/ramp combination. — All are in the blueprints and instructions.
Finally, there are options for Flexibility like a hidden ramp, motorcycle stands, an aerodynamic-ish front, toolbox mounting, infinitely variable tie-down placement, and more. Pictures show some of the options. While we encourage customizing, we also suggest these guidelines to think about.
Plans include complete drawings and illustrations with the instructions — and construction tips. They also have a parts lists and a materials list along with suggestions for purchasing components.
Utility Trailer Technical Information:
- * The 6 x 12 utility trailer plans give a deck size 2 inches wider than 6 ft. and 3.5 inches longer than 12 ft. (Made for true 6 ft load clearance.)
- Total length, including the tongue, is 198 or so inches depending on options.
- Total width is 97-ish inches. Actual width depends on component choices (axles, tires, fenders).
- Deck height depends on components — from 18 inches up. (Height shown is approximately 19 inches.)
- Options for Max load capacity — either 6000 lbs.* or 7000 lbs.* which includes the weight of the trailer.
- Again, options will change trailer weight. The flatbed version is 900 lbs – 1000 lbs. Options like decking choice, sides (or not), tailgate or toolbox, etc. will increase weight.
- Blueprints have many options. Some are mutually exclusive, and not all options appear in the pictures.
- We encourage options and customization to meet your exact needs. To assist with that, these 6 x 12 Utility Trailer Plans include customization ideas for special uses — from ATV & motorcycles, to trash or furniture or landscape moving. Feel free to add customization of your own.
Trailer Plans in our 6' Bed Width Family
(Nominal bed Width is 6')
Chart Shows Bed Length & Capacity Options
|3500 lb. Single Axle *||X||X||X|
|6000 lb. Single Axle *||X||X|
|7000 lb. Tandem Axle *||X||X|
|10,000 lb. / 12,000 lb.|
Tandem Axle *
* Load capacity is the complete trailer weight (Trailer + Cargo).
Image shows a generic layout.
Actual size will vary with parts chosen.
Reminder: Trailer construction requires metalworking skills and tools for things like cutting, drilling, accurate fixturing and set-up, as well as welding. The strength, durability, and enjoyment depend on how well the trailer is made. Build it well, then Enjoy the Finished Project !!
Trailer Plans & Information:
- Purchase these plans with the “ADD TO CART” button above. Download is available right after confirmed payment.
- For more information about the plans, check out these two articles: What’s In The Plans? and What Makes Our Trailer Plans Better?
- Then, for more on trailers, try these two articles from Synthesis Engineering: “What Makes A Good Trailer Design?” and “Choosing The Right Utility Trailer”.